Council Tax Help

Council Tax Help

14th January 2021

Are you struggling to pay your Council Tax?

If so, you are not alone!  With the Coronavirus situation, many households are finding this hard. The payment breaks offered early in the pandemic have led to a build-up of arrears, which are now difficult to meet. On top of this, many people have seen a drop in their income level.

Do make use of the Council Tax Reduction Scheme if you are eligible. This can reduce payment , often by 100%, and can sometimes be backdated for up to 6 months.

For the main reduction scheme, eligibility is a low income and if you receive certain benefits you will get 100% reduction (excluding water and sewage charges).  Qualifying benefits are Income Support, Income based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income related Employment Support Allowance, and a Universal Credit award can also gain a reduction but speak to an adviser who can help you to check this. The Guarantee element of Pension Credit entitles eligibility too.

Do be aware that receiving benefits does not automatically lead to a Council Tax Reduction - you have to make an application to your local authority. 

If you do not receive any of the above benefits and are on a low income, you can still claim, as long as you have savings of less than £16,000. We can help to carry out a check or see the links below.  Savings are treated as bringing in some income. If you are viewed as a pensioner, an income of £1 for every £500 between £10,000 and £16,000 is assumed.  A pensioner is considered to  be someone who has reached the qualifying age for a State Pension and does not receive any of the above benefits apart from Pension Credit. If viewed as a non pensioner, then it is £1 for every £250 between £6,000 and £16,000

There is also a scheme for those in bands E to H  with income below £321 pw for a single person with no children and below  £479 pw for all other households.There is also a second adult rebate scheme which applies if another adult lives with you and does not pay Council tax, but is on a low income.

Also there is a possibility of a discount if someone in the house is substantially and permanently disabled.  The person does not have to be the one liable for Council Tax, so it could be a child.  There are some eligibility conditions with this scheme.

If you would like any more detailed information, help or a full benefit check, please do contact Perth CAB on 01738 450580 between 10am and 3pm Monday to Friday or email us at or by visiting  

You can also use an online tool to check all Council Tax entitlements to savings, reductions, discounts and exemptions at www.checkmycounciltaxscot.

You can also explore other ways to boost income through the Moneymap tool at